Hi, I’m Daniel, My Teaching Philosophy:
- I believe in continually getting out of your comfort zone.
- I believe in active, hands-on learning.
- I believe in learning as much as you can about as much as you can.
This is why I’ve adopted the Renaissance Man approach to learning. I offer diverse experiences and projects to increase your kid’s practical knowledge, creativity. and problem-solving skills.
Your students will learn by doing in my courses (4th-8th grade science).
They will complete hands-on projects. Why projects?
- Projects propel students out of their comfort zones. Think scouting.
- Projects cause students to problem-solve. Think Google Glass.
- Projects spur creativity and innovation. Think “necessity is the mother of invention.”
- Projects yield experience. Diverse experiences produce divergent thinking. Think Leonardo Da Vinci.
This course will motivate your kid to observe and discover. Observation is key to science, inventing, writing, and business.
“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” Sherlock Holmes
“I see no more than you, but I have trained myself to notice what I see.” Sherlock Holmes
Insects & Spiders:
- Identify the major insect orders
- Collect, preserve and display insects
- Care for and handle tarantulas
Observe and study birds. After this section you will be able to do the following:
- Identify the major bird orders
- Identity at least 20 bird species
- Sketch birds
- Feed and care for backyard birds
Fish & Sea Monsters:
*From “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas: An Underwater Tour of the World” by Jules Verne
Observe and study creatures of the sea. After this section you will be able to do the following:
- Identify major sea creature classifications
- Identify parts of a fish
- Select and assemble balanced fishing tackle
- Tie line to appropriate hook or lure
Reptile & Amphibians:
Observe and study cold-blooded animals. After this section you will be able to do the following:
- Identify common reptiles and amphibians
- Sketch common reptiles and amphibians
- Care for a reptile or amphibian pet
Lions and Tigers and Bears!
Observe and study land animals. After this section you will be able to do the following:
- Classify observed mammals
- Identify mammal signs and tracks
- Preserve an animal track
- Prepare a study skin
Go Go Go!
Research like a scientist and build like an inventor.
- Participate in current cutting-edge scientific research
- Collaborate with professional researchers
- Design and print a 3D object
- Empathize and brainstorm to solve a problem
Your student will be “Poking the Box.”