What if my child’s pronunciation sounds different from the video’s?
- Go back and relearn that phonogram.
- We have provided pictures of how to form most of the phonograms.
- This might be related to your child’s dialect. Try the two methods listed above.
What can I do to help my child consolidate the phonograms and words?
Your child can make his own phonogram cards and vocabulary cards. Here is a template:
Why do the same letters look different?
Some letters look different when it is printed. Here is a list of them:
a, y, q, g, t, j
What if my child cannot figure out the answer after repeating 3 times?
This is the advantage of video-based teaching. If your child needs more time and practice, you can pause the video or even replay the part again at any time.
What if my child gets mixed up with similar sounds?
- Go through phonograms with the same sounds with your child.
- Pick out the phonograms your child has problems with and focus on just these phonograms. Here is a list of some phonograms and sounds your child might have problems with:
What if my child cannot differentiate long and short sounds?
Go through the vowel phonograms with your child. Make sure their long sounds are long and short sounds are short.
What if my child cannot blend sounds together into words?
- Start with the last phonogram, then add on one phonogram at a time. For example, if your child wants to sound glad. Start with ‘d’, then ‘ad’ then ‘lad’ then ‘glad’.
- If your child is having difficulty blending two syllables together (ie cam-el), if the last sound of the first syllable is a consonant, then bring that consonant over to the next syllable mel.
May a private school use this curriculum?
The Good Curriculum is ideal for a K-12 private school.
The Good Curriculum will solve the many problems that K-12 private schools faces.
One teacher per class can teach the entire program from K-12 using The Good Curriculum video-based curriculum.
What if we cannot control our child?
The Good Curriculum is designed for students who are self-disciplined and self-motivated. Students whose minds wander, are unlikely to do well with this curriculum.
The typical class assignment requires an hour: a half hour of reading — or writing every fifth lesson — and a half hour of watching a lecture and taking notes. If a student takes five courses, that is five hours a day of hard work.
There is no question that lots of students will rebel against this regimen and refuse to invest the effort, but parents will have to lead and persuade them to do the work. The end result will be well worth it.
How much homework is there?
A well-designed homeschool curriculum minimizes homework.
If a student puts in an hour per course per day, that should be sufficient for a properly designed course.
The goal of formal education should be understanding, not memorization. With the World Wide Web, there is no need to memorize details. There is a great need to understand connections.
The Good Curriculum assigns one hour a day per course: half reading, half listening to a lecture. That is all a student needs. On day five, there is a writing assignment or a test (math and science), which should only take 30 minutes. There is also a half-hour review of the week’s lessons. There is no reading assignment on day five.
We assume that a student reads at 250 words per minute. The reading assignments are selected accordingly. If a student practices for 10 minutes a day with the free online Spreeder speed reading program, then the reading portion of the curriculum can be cut sharply.
If you limit formal homeschooling to one hour per course per day, the student will have time for extra-curricular activities, such as a part-time apprenticeship or starting a home business.
Help! Where do I start?
If you are new to homeschooling, it can be very frustrating and confusing if you don’t know where to start.
We are not legally qualified to answer any question about each country’s home school regulations.
We recommend you start with your local home school organizations. They will be able to help you know what is required of you to withdraw your child from the public schools, subject requirements, and what options you have for reporting, if necessary in your country.
You may also find a local homeschool support group to be valuable. Many times they have organized activities for sports or field trips (museums, zoos, etc.) in which you can participate. However, it is not necessary to be involved in a local support group, if you find it doesn’t fit your needs.
How long should a student take to complete a course?
Can a student take one lesson a day? Then it will take 180 days.
Can a student do two lessons a day. Then it will take 90 days.
This is a curriculum, not a physical school. This is a self-taught curriculum.
Why doesn’t your curriculum require weekly True/False tests?
Standard tests are legitimate in math and science courses. These are objective measures of mastery. The Good Curriculum’s math and science courses assign exams.
In the humanities and social sciences, only essay exams have validity.
The main skill that matters in the humanities and social sciences is writing. Can the student present a coherent argument in a brief time or a short essay?
Parents can see a student’s progress. True/false exam shows no meaningful lasting knowledge.
A student who completes all assignments in this curriculum writes over 800 essays. There is no other curriculum like this. Students at the end of this program will know how to write.
Advanced writing skills require advanced term papers. These are rarely assigned in today’s universities, let alone high schools.
What’s the difference between TGC Membership and TGC Family Membership?
The Good Curriculum has (2) Membership categories.
TGC Membership: An Individual Membership will cost NT$ 3,600 per year and will give the member access to the “The Good Curriculum” website.
TGC Family Membership. A Family Membership is presently offered at a special price of NT$ 3,600 per year. It is restricted to direct family members only. Father, mother and their off-springs.
A Family Membership will give the whole family individual access to The Good Curriculum website. Please note, courses cannot to be shared amongst family members. Each individual family member is required to purchase their own individual courses. (Default number is 3, if you have more than 3 kids, please contact us.)
How to register TGC Family Membership?
- Visit TGC Family Membership page.
- Fill in your Team Name – You may type in letters, numbers or Chinese characters.
- After entering your Team Name, Click Add to cart, then View cart.
- Your cart should show your detailed order information. Continue to >Proceed to checkout.
*Apply a coupon/voucher – if you have a coupon/voucher code, you may apply your coupon/voucher code on this page. When you do so, please check and make sure the coupon is applied successfully. Check if the total price is correct.
- Fill in the information on this page and please check again and make sure all the information is correct. Then you may Place the order.
Returning customer – you may login here if you are already a member.
Have a coupon? – If you have a coupon/voucher, you may also enter the code here if you didn’t do so on the cart page.
Billing information – This is the payment billing information. Please fill in the information accordingly.
TGC account information – On this same page, you can create your own account. You are required to fill in your email address, account username (only letters, numbers or combination of both), and account password (please keep it in a safe place)
Order information – Please check and make sure all the information is correct.
6. You should see the checkout page which includes very important information. The top of the order page is your order information, your order number, date, email & total amount paid.
Downloads – Each membership purchased will include a voucher to purchase any (1) course on our website. It may be downloaded here. You can only download once and it is only valid for 7 days. Please note; a family membership is only entitled to (1) voucher. You may also download the TGC Family Membership Management Tutorial file on this page which will teach you how to manage your team.
Order details – You will see the product information, total amount, discount applied and the Billing address on this page.
Now you’ve completed the TGC Family Membership Registration, you may download the TGC Family Membership Management Tutorial on your order completion page to help you learn more on how to use TGC Family Membership.
How to register TGC Membership?
How to apply a coupon/voucher on TGC site?
Each TGC Member will get a voucher which allow you to buy any (1) course on our site, here is an instruction on how to use a voucher on our site.
- Login to your account through >My Account
- Go to >Courses to choose the course you want to buy.
- Click add to cart, then view cart, you will see the apply a coupon option, don’t forget to click the update cart button on the right. Another choice is you may continue to proceed to checkout page, at the top of the billing information, you will see apply coupon option, click and you will see a box there, enter your code.
- After typing the code, the total amount will reflect the deduction of the voucher amount. If not, there will be a reminder at the top of the page. Please retype the code until it works properly. Then continue to complete the order.
- You will see your detailed order information on the order page as well as the related files for download. You will also get an order confirmation in your email. Please keep this information.
- If you encounter any other problems, please contact us: email@example.com